Slowing down your mouse
How you slow down your mouse depends on what operating system you use to run your computer.
Instructions for Windows
Slowing down your mouse in Windows
- Open the "Start" menu and select the "Control Panel"
- You may see the text "Pick a category" as the main title on the page and under the Control Panel title "Switch to Classic View". If your view looks like this, you are currently in "Category View" and you need to select "Switch to Classic View".
- Select "Mouse", and the "Mouse Properties" page will be displayed.
- Select the "Pointer Options" tab.
- Adjust the "Pointer Speed" as you want and click "OK" or press "Enter" to confirm your choice and exit the mouse properties.
Instructions for Mac OS
Slowing down your mouse in Mac OSX
- Make sure you are in "Finder" and select the "Apple" menu
- Select "System Preferences..." and then the "Keyboard & Mouse" icon
- Select the "Mouse" tab
- Click on the "Tracking Speed" gauge bar to select a more comfortable mouse speed, or press "Tab" and use the left and right arrow keys to select your speed. Note: the speed changes immediately so you can test it until you are happy with your choice.
- Close the window and return to the Finder desktop.
- Slowing down your mouse in Mac OS 8 or 9
- Select the "Apple" menu, and from the "Control Panels" sub menu select "Mouse"
- From here select one of the radio buttons to choose a different mouse speed. The first radio button on the left is the slowest and they become faster as you move to the right.
- Close the "Mouse" Control Panel and return to the desktop.
Instructions for users of other operating systems or browsers
If your operating system or browser isn't listed here, the BBC's My Web My Way website has further, illustrated, instructions.
If you have any questions regarding the accessibility of this site, or if you experience any difficulty in using it, please contact us.