The London Bridges Trek will take you from West to East along the Thames and over the Capital's finest bridges with fantastic city views!
The 16 Bridges and 25km ...
- Putney - The current bridge was opened in 1886 replacing the 1729 timber bridge - it is 700 ft long and made of Cornish Granite and is just downstream from the start of the Oxford and Cambridge Boat Race.
- Fulham Railway - The District Line runs over this bridge. Opened in 1889 pedestrians can also cross here - and was designed by Brunel's former assistant William Jacomb.
- Wandsworth - Known as the least notable bridge in London and opened in 1940 the original blue paint colour was used in the Blitz as camouflage - and replaced the 1873 bridge.
- Battersea - The old bridge (opened in 1771) was painted by Turner, Whistler and Cotman. This was demolished and replaced by the current bridge which is the narrowest road bridge in London.
- Albert - Famed for being in the titles of television show Made in Chelsea, this grade II listed structure is also known as the Trembling Lady.
- Chelsea - Was opened in 1937 and is a self-anchored suspension bridge. During construction large quantities of early Roman and Celtic artefacts led historians to believe it to be Caesar’s crossing point.
- Vauxhall - Opened in 1906, it is near a bridge-like structure found in the silt which is presumed to be from circa 55BC. It has been in many James Bond movies as it’s next to MI6.
- Lambeth – Opened in 1932, the bridge’s paint scheme matches the House of Lords, which is at the southern end of the Palace of Westminster nearest the bridge.
- Westminster - A favourite haunt of tourists the bridge is painted in the colours of the House of Commons. Opened in 1862 it replaced a bridge from the 1750s.
- Golden Jubilee - Opened in 2002 to commemorate 50 years of Queen Elizabeth II’s reign the builders had to be careful to avoid unexploded bombs and the Bakerloo line.
- Waterloo - The current bridge was opened in 1945. Its predecessor was dismantled and its stone was sent around the world. Its name comes from Wellington’s Victory over Napoleon in 1815.
- Blackfriars – The present bridge was built in 1869 to coincide with the rebuilding of the embankment by Sir Joseph Bazalgette. If you look closely you can see the river fleet emptying under the north end of the bridge.
- Millennium – Opened for the millennium the bridge still retains the nickname ‘the wobbly bridge’ due to oscillations which have since been fixed.
- Southwark – Featured heavily in the film Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, the bridge was opened in 1921.
- London – The current box girder bridge opened in 1973 and replaced a 19th Century stone bridge which itself replaced the medieval bridge which the nursery song is based upon due to its rickety nature.
- Tower - Built in 1886 as a solution to the demand for river crossings east of London bridge, the innovative design is able to open for the tall ships which used to be unloaded in central London.