Learning and development opportunities
Volunteering should be a rewarding experience that enables you to learn new skills and develop throughout your volunteering journey. We want to ensure that you have the opportunity and information you need in order to grow with us as we develop.
Gain an NVQ volunteering with CHSW
Did you know you can volunteer in a CHSW charity shop and gain a National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) at the same time?
What is an NVQ in Retail?
- An NVQ is a nationally recognised qualification that demonstrates your retail skills.
- If you are 19+ and interested in a career in retail then this may be an opportunity for you to gain an NVQ in Retail or Customer Service whilst volunteering with us.
- You don't need any previous experience however you will need to meet the entry criteria.
How to apply for an NVQ
- We work closely with recognised NVQ provider Derby College to properly support and assess NVQs in our shops.
- For more information drop Stephanie Robey our Volunteer Advisor an email.
Duke of Edinburgh Award
If you are aged between 14 and 24 years old and looking for somewhere to do the volunteering section for your Duke of Edinburgh Award, we would love to hear from you. It’s a great way to gain life skills and be part of a team.
Join the friendly team at your local Children's Hospice South West shop for your work experience or work placement.
You'll be supported through your placement to give you new skills and experiences, whilst also being part of a fun shop team.
Work experience and short term work placements can be done from age 14+ years at a CHSW shop and are tailored to School, College, University or Adult level work experience to suit your requirements. From a one week school placement to a nationally recognised qualification, your journey volunteering at a Children's Hospice South West shop can be the next step in your career.
Volunteering can include placements such as:
- School work experience
- Foreign Language School placements
- University placements
- Young people wanting on the job experience
- Duke of Edinburgh Award
- National Vocational Qualification (NVQ)
- 16-18 year old higher or further education
To find out more pop into your local Children's Hopsice South West shop to talk through what you're looking for with the Shop Manager.