Responsible gambling guide
It’s important to us that our weekly lottery and raffles are a fun way for you to support CHSW, but that they never have a detrimental effect.
Our commitment to responsible gaming
We are committed to operating our weekly lottery and raffles in a socially responsible way. We want them to be fun to play, whilst raising charitable funds, but not in a way that is detrimental to the vulnerable - such as low income groups or players under the age of 16 years old. Whilst the majority of people do gamble within their means, for some, gambling can become a problem. It may help you to keep control to remember the following:
- Gambling should be entertaining and not seen as a way of making money
- Avoid chasing losses
- Only gamble what you can afford to lose
- Keep track of the time and amount you spend gambling.
If you want to have a break from gambling you can use our self-exclusion option for our weekly lottery or raffles by writing to us with your name, address and supporter number(s) at:
CHSW Lottery, Little Bridge House, Redlands Road, Fremington, Barnstaple, Devon, EX31 2PZ
We will then close your account(s) for a minimum period of six months, during which time it will not be possible for the account(s) to be re-opened for any reason.
If you are concerned that gambling may have taken over your (or someone else's) life then the following questions may help you find out:
- Do you stay away from work, college or school to gamble?
- Do you gamble to escape from a boring or unhappy life?
- When gambling and you run out of money, do you feel lost and in despair and need to gamble again as soon as possible?
- Do you gamble until your last penny is gone, even leaving nothing for the fare home or the cost of a cup of tea?
- Have you ever lied to cover up the amount of money or time you have spent gambling?
- Have others ever criticised your gambling?
- Have you lost interest in your family, friends or hobbies?
- After losing, do you feel you must try and win back your losses as soon as possible?
- Do arguments, frustrations or disappointments make you want to gamble?
- Do you feel depressed or even suicidal because of your gambling?
The more you answer 'yes' to these questions, the more likely you are to have a serious gambling problem.
Contact Gamble Aware
If you need to talk to someone about problem gambling then contact Gamble Aware. Gamble Aware is a registered charity that provides confidential telephone support and counselling to anyone who is affected by problem gambling. You can find more information and help about problem gambling by visiting the Gamble Aware website or calling 0345 6000 133 (8.00am to midnight, seven days a week)
Licensed by the Gambling Commission of Great Britain under the 2005 Gambling Act. Registered charity number 1003314.
Licence holder: Children's Hospice South West, Little Bridge House, Redlands Road, Fremington, Barnstaple, Devon, EX31 2PZ
If you have any questions about the CHSW raffle, please email us at email@example.com or call us on 01271 325 270 (Monday to Friday, 9.00am to 5.00pm).
If you have any questions about the CHSW weekly lottery please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 08456 888 911. Our lottery hotline is open from Tuesday to Friday from 9.00am - 4.30pm. At all other times please leave a message on our answerphone. CHSW is proud to be registered with the Fundraising Regulator.